Sponsored Link

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Potential Usage for the Asus EEE

Just thought I would start a list.

1. Blogger's Tote-Anywhere subnote - It is small and light enough to slip in a large bag and carry around. A blogger can conceivably settle into a comfy couch over at Starbucks, go on-line and blog away. Coincidentally, the default resolution of most of blogging site Blogger's templates is 800 x 600, which the Asus Eee PC 7o1's 800 x 480 can accommodate comfortably.

2. Car PC - It can be disassembled, with the LCD mounted on the dashboard, a USB UMTS HSDPA plugged in and a touch screen overlaid. You not only get instant in-car WLAN, you can also get instant traffic updates, traffic webcams, and other information.

3. Ebook Reader. Well, ideally it is tablet form. But at USD200, I shouldn't be complaining.

4. Messaging Device - Not just email, but IM as well. If the Eee proves small and light enough for a lot of people to carry it around on a daily basis, it just might impact's Blackberry's market. Three things, though, that might be the breaker for some - 15 seconds boot-up time (which can feel like eternity in the mobile environment), no alerts for incoming messages, and the relatively shorter battery life.

5. Movie player - With USB flash memory now so cheap these days, who needs a DVD drive? I can just save my movies on my flash drives, plug them in, and watch away anywhere I go.

6. Digital catalog for field sales executives. They can even check for real-time inventory.

7. Mobile phone - With a USB UMTS HSDPA plugged into the Eee and a bluetooth headset into my ear I can have 3G as well. Downside of course is I won't have any Caller ID feature. Nor can I do SMS texting. Unless someone comes with a really wee unit that I can attach to my shirt pocket or dangle around my neck...

I know most of the usage mentioned can be done with current notebooks. But these are either heavier, more expensive, hotter, or contain a lot of other data. At USD200 and 2 lbs, the Eee is simply in a different category.

0 comments: