Sponsored Link

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Asus Eee PC: The Perfect Laptop?

Reading “In Search of the Perfect Laptop” by Lloyd Case of Extremetech, I was reminded of my own notebook preferences through the years. For the past decade, my rule of thumb was USD2,000 max for a unit that I’d consider one model older than the latest model. I figured this way, I would get optimal value for my money and a notebook that would serve me well for at least two years. In between, if I come across an irresistible deal, I would purchase that notebook as well.

So through the years, I ended up with an assortment of Thinkpads (560, A21m, and a couple more) and a variety of other brands (Fujitsu, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, ECS). Generally with each purchase, I try to ensure it has the latest new feature, be it a wider screen, Bluetooth, USB, or WiFi. Of course, sometimes having the new feature may mean a higher price. But overall, the units I chose invariably represented the best bargain in their class. But one thing I noticed though that was pretty consistent – the smaller you go, the more premium you pay. That is, until the Asus Eee PC came along.

Put simply, the Asus Eee PC blew away the established norm that equated small with expensive. For the first time, an established manufacturer has proven that a fully functioning sub-notebook need not be expensive. And the buying public has agreed with Asus, making the Eee PC currently one of the best-selling subnotebooks.

But is it the perfect laptop? [Note: The term laptop is used interchangeable with notebook/subnotebooks.]

I guess it is tantamount to asking what is the best laptop. And as I’ve so often replied to that question, my answer is there is no perfect laptop and there is no best laptop either. But there is always a laptop that will be perfect for someone and there will always be a best laptop for certain situations.

In my own case, my idea of a perfect laptop is ever-changing, influenced as always by new technology. For now, it would have the following features –

15.4” 1440x900 minimum resolution LCD
Discrete graphics adequate for 3D apps and multiple display support
Thinkpad quality and lay-out keyboard with trackpoint
Under 3lbs
Smaller than A4 size
Bluetooth
WiMax
Battery life of 5 hours minimum
Minimum 4 USB ports (two on each side), FireWire, gigabit Ethernet port, DVI or HDMI, VGA out
Excellent speakers
Latest Intel mobile CPU
2GB RAM upgradeable to 4GB
Large capacity hard drive
Built-in optical drive
All for USD2000 max.

Does such a notebook exist? I doubt it. So I gladly settle for something with fewer features. Incidentally I use it as my primary computer. But for the times I travel, I would very much prefer something lighter, smaller, and less expensive. Something like the Asus Eee PC. So is it the perfect laptop for me when I travel?

Let me see.

I can email.
I can program.
I can blog.
I can write.
I can review financials.
I can watch movies.
I can direct sensitive data automatically to the SDHC card.
But I can’t draw/design using it.
And browsing is just tolerable.

But it is also light enough and small enough for me to just bring it with me without thinking twice. But at USD400 it is not exactly “throw-away.” By “throw-away” I mean it won’t hurt that much if it were to be stolen or accidentally abused. Obviously if it were USD199 then it would hurt much less. Still, USD400 is much less than USD2000.

But what I think is rather significant is that the Asus Eee PC actually allows the user to perform practically all common functions – write, IM, browse, play games – right out of the box. (Well, assuming there is Internet access.) And I would think for a significant number of users, these are all they will ever do. I would surmise then for them from a functionality standpoint, the Eee PC is a perfect laptop for them. I am sure some may complain (a bit) about the screen size, the weight, or the size, but considering ergonomic limitations, I would think the Asus Eee PC has achieved the sweet spot insofar as these are concerned. If ever there is any quibble, it would be the price. Human nature being what it is, the price will always be too high for a good number of buyers. But bring it down to USD199 (the Holy Grail of PC pricing), and I think you will have a lot of buyers saying amen. :)

0 comments: