Sponsored Link

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Brief Review by Non-Techie

From the TipidPC forum, a brief review posted by a self-confessed non-techie named nonoy28 on November 11, 2007 10:01 PM -

I bought today a unit of Eee PC (Celeron M, 4G SSD, 1G RAM).

Here are some random thoughts from someone who is not into software programming nor gaming nor video-watching, and has average technical knowledge of computers:

1. It is perfect for those who need a laptop mainly for office applications (word processing, spreadsheet, pdf) and for internet surfing.

2. it is perfect for those who value portability over any other feature (DVD playing/writing, processor speed, or latest Windows OS). You can bring this gadget anywhere without the bulk and inconvenience. You can put it inside a Fully Booked plastic bag together with an issue of the Economist or Newsweek, have some coffee at Starbucks, and then ride the MRT or jeepney or even tricycle without attracting the roving eyes of thieves, "holdapers" [hold-uppers] and snatchers!

3. I find the keyboard manageable because I have been using a similar-sized external, foldable keyboard of my Sony Clie TH55 PDA. If you are not used to typing on keys of such size, then you have to "train" your fingers. (I myself am into "tuldok" [finger?] system.)

4. If your use for a portable laptop is simply for convenience and not for "serious business" (as in programming, graphic design, video editing, etc.), then Eee PC is suitable for you.

5. The display resolution (brightness, readability) is good enough, at least for someone like me who has excellent vision. Those who have problems with their vision have to test first the suitability of the screen size.

6. Its WiFi capability is perfect. It has easily and quickly recognized my home's WiFi. For a non-geek like me, the calibration for WiFi connection (and, definitely, similar features, like webcam) is fast.

7. I think the price of P19,999 [roughly USD468] is just right for a laptop whose main selling point is ultra-portability. Those who bemoan the lack of this-and-that state-of-the-art feature, or compare it with other brands of the same size and weight, will have to spend more than thrice this amount if they wish to have such an ultra-portable laptop for their high-tech dreams.

Despite the above points, however, I treat this Eee PC as an adjunct to my desktop and "home-based" laptop (I am using my older and much-bulkier laptop at the moment while my Eee PC is charging). In other words, the Eee PC should be valued mainly for its ultra-portability, for its simplicity, and for its -- as for now -- novelty.

0 comments: